Beautiful girls gather around a trash can, strangely enough, reading their lists of hurts, insecurities, and regrets. Life “back then,” so to speak, before they found the hope of Christ. One by one, these young women share heartaches gone forever (Praise God!) before tossing the old ugliness:
- Amy: “Before meeting Jesus, I was selfish.” (Wads up the list and smiles BIG as she trashes it.)
- Cassie: “Before following Him, I was anxious about everything.” (Crumples the paper and sighs with relief.)
- Morgan: “Before knowing God, church was just a game.” (Places TWO pages of regrets in the can.)
- Lexie: “Before returning to Him, I hurt my parents.” (Tries to keep her voice from cracking.)
- Shannon: “Before finding Jesus, I feared death.” (Laughs out loud because the tumor is gone.)
- Rachel: “Before God found me, I broke His heart.” (Wipes a tear smudging her mascara.)
Then Haley shoots a “File 13” three pointer and with the conviction of a sports announcer, reads 1 Peter 2:24:
Jesus Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds we are HEALED.
(Haley, it’s true! Because of Jesus, we can move past the past. The guilt. The aimless drifting. The darkness. Healed from struggles like Amy’s, Cassie’s, Morgan’s, Lexie’s…yours.)
After a few amens and hugs, the girls move on. Thankfully, their “put the old lives in a trash can” activity is not over. Now they grab their Bibles, find truth, and write new outlooks on clean, beautiful stationery. You know, something to frame, to keep forever. When they’re done, each one speaks again, sharing a new message of hope in her heart:
- Amy: “Since meeting Jesus, I am clean and new, more and more like Him” (Romans 6:4-5).
- Cassie: “Since following Him, I always know God has my back. No worries!” (Philippians 4:6-7).
- Morgan: “Since knowing God, my faith has come alive. I’m not playing religion anymore” (Colossians 2:13-14).
- Lexie: “Since returning to Him, I’m able to start over. This means I’m free from feeling ashamed” (Ephesians 4:21-24).
- Shannon: “Since finding Jesus, I know He can do anything. I believe in life-saving miracles” (Ephesians 3:20).
- Rachel: “Since God found me, I feel love and forgiveness. He’s forgotten the ugliness of my past” (1 John 4:8-10).
From old to new. Sadness to joy. Death to life. Have you left the worthless baggage behind? ‘Cause there’s a brand new “you” out there, a life of purpose made possible by a cross. Want to know more? Leave a comment, and we’ll talk—this “trash to treasure” stuff is real. Want to testify? Leave a comment, and we’ll rejoice—this “new life” stuff is encouraging! 🙂
[God says], “See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland” (Isaiah 43:19).